San Michele Home serves the whole community by providing an essential non-denominational home for intellectually & physically disabled people. The home provides professional care as well as a family environment. SMH opened its doors for the first time in 1945, caring for 6 ex-servicemen’s intellectually disabled children. Today, more than 75 years later, we are proud to be able to provide a home for more than 200 permanent residents who are intellectually disabled.
• 98 staff members render a dedicated and caring service to our Residents. San Michele is licensed for 271 residents and is constantly monitored by the Department of Health – SMH submit monthly reports and are subjected to quarterly inspections/audits by the Department of Health.
• San Michele is a registered Non-Profit Organization — NPO no: 001/033 NPO, Fund Raising No FIR 01-100221-000-7. San Michele has been approved as a Public Benefit Organization in terms of Section 30 of the Income Tax Act and donations are tax deductible in accordance with section 18A of the Act. Management is monitored by an Executive Committee consisting of 7 volunteers.
• The annual running cost amounts to approximately R15.6 million per annum which grows with inflation.
• San Michele receives government grants which only covers +-90% of costs; The balance of income is obtained from parent’s fees, donations & fund-raising events.
• SMH is licensed to cater for patients from the age of 18 -55.
• Most of our patients stay at San Michele for life.
• More than 50% of patients have been abandoned by their families or have no family.
- Semi-independent residential cottages (82 Beds-Own Rooms)
- Supported cottages for persons needing moderate care (48 Beds).
- A centre for severely and profoundly challenged & Handicapped persons (80 Beds in 8 x 10 Bed Wards)
- 24hour nursing care with a Clinic also operating 24hours
- Occupational Therapy
- Therapy Workshop for Males/Females
- Sports – We offer a variety of sport activities and participate on Special Olympics level
- Entertainment Centre
- Chapel for Church Services
- Kitchen & Dining Room